AuthorMessage
montycarloneil
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-05-07

PostSubject: Where have all the posters gone !   Fri May 07, 2010 7:02 pm

Crying or Very sad

A big HELLO to all you knowledgeable folks out there in Bangernomics Land from a first-time poster but long time lurker.

Things have gone a bit quiet round here lately apart from our NBA loving friend (Bless Him ) from across the pond & so I thought that I would register on the forum & tell you all a bit about my car situation at this point in time.

Until a couple of weeks ago my only car was a 1990 Mini which is in need of a rest & a bit of TLC. I have been looking around for a cheap motor to use so that I could give Monty a break & my list of targets included the following : Mk 1/2 Golf, Mk 1/2 Mondeo, Mk 1/2 Primera, Skoda Felicia/Favorit.

So what did I end up with ? Yes, your right none of the above ! I purchased a 1995 Ford Fiesta Frascati 1.3 for the princely sum of 80 notes. Not being very mechanically minded & without the help of a mechanic friend of mine from my local Mini club (He always has his head in an engine bay when you need him ) I took the car round the block, checked the exterior etc & shook hands on the deal safe in the knowledge that if I had bought a duffer I could scrap it for a small profit.

I am currently waiting for my mate to give it the once over & then give me the dreaded verdict but the initial impression he gave me was that I may have done o.k. Whilst on my way to the supermarket this morning I saw another Fiesta for sale by the side of the road. It appeared to be in similar condition to mine but was 2 or 3 years older with roughly the same mileage & the asking price was 395 sheets, so I may be on to a winner.

The main reason for my post though was to try & help to kick-start things around here as I find that the information & knowledge provided by you lot is of great interest & before things slowed down on here I was checking the site on an almost daily basis.

So come on you lot & let us all know what you are up to with your fleets/projects & pocket money recommendations for cars, parts & worthwhile upgrades etc.

You know it makes sense.

Happy Penny Pinching Motoring !

Neil.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Welcome   Fri May 07, 2010 8:08 pm

Welcome aboard Neil, many thanks for being so patient especially as the NBA feller was clogging things up. Here's part of the answer I emailed to you earlier today, but please, please everyone else pile in with your comments and recommendations.

My principle is that we all have plenty of commonsense and don't need any mechanical knowledge to buy a decent used car. There is also an element of luck too when buying an car. I think you have done well, if the engine is strong and those Ford units are already over 50 years old and the rust has not taken hold, a Fiesta will buzz around for years to come.
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
Ian_Fearn
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Where have all the posters gone !   Sat May 22, 2010 6:24 pm

It has been rather quiet on here of late!

My old Citroen BX failed its MOT on a split CV boot and brake imbalance so I pulled the driveshaft out and found there was nothing wrong with the boot except some 'moisture' on the boot. Bearing in mind the rest of the area was completely dry I couldnt help but think the MOT station was pulling a fast one thinking they'd get some easy business out of me!

I did nothing to the brakes and sent it back in. It passed.

So I guess the moral of the story is try and find a garage you can trust. I've been using a cheap fast fit place because they only charge 35quid for an MOT but i'll go back to a local place now that I trust.
Back to top Go down
quirkycars
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Where have all the posters gone !   Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:03 pm

Well, I'm back.
My previous account "expired", but hey!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where have all the posters gone !   

Back to top Go down

Where have all the posters gone !

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1