View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
D7
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Not another banger!   Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:12 pm

Been looking to replace the other halfs Astra recently as tbh she could just do with something a bit bigger. I've been hunting high and low for something suitable and, having sold the Astra on eBay the other day the pressure was building to try and find something cheap for her to use.

As you may recall from my last topic, I have recently bought this as my "main car"

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

a 1998 (S) Volvo S40 1.6i with 80k on the clock. Although the 1.6 engine is a bit sluggish, the car is excellent and I really like it. But, after some debating, I decided to hand it over to my missus as she likes it too and its easier to please me, by getting a replacement for myself, than trying to find something to appease her Laughing

So, after trawling eBay, making a couple of phone calls and then agreeing a price (subject to inspection) me and the missus set off in the S40 this morning to drive 1hr down the road to pick up my new runabout.

And, a few quid lighter, I returned with this. Its a 1997 R reg, is taxed until end of June and MoT'd until January 2011. Its an estate, in white (yuck) but I just want something to run about in. Its also desperatly in need of a valet inside!

But, it goes well. Got 154k on the clock mind Shocked but i'm sure its nothing for this car. Cam belt replaced 30k ago too so theres still some mileage in it.

Its a 1.8, so larger engine than the S40 and the extra grunt really is noticeable. I much prefer the shape of the V40 at the rear too compared to the Saloon. I'm very tempted if a lower mileage (i.e similar to the S40), fully historied (like the S40) V40 1.8 comes up for sale at a reasonable price to chop the S40 in for another estate but i've had a look around and they are either silly money or knackered! Better the devil you know I guess, i'd rather keep the S40 even if I do dislike the 1.6 engine!
Back to top Go down
jadis
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Not another banger!   Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:27 pm

Same engine in that 1.8 volvo v40/s40 as in most mitsubishi carismas.

The gdi is a very fuel efficient engine but I'd be wary of the 1.8 gdi.
I know in carisma's that they give far more trouble than the 1.6 and are stupidly expensive to fix. If you look on the mitsubishi carisma forum every 2nd/3rd thread is on a gdi engine problem. Mind you at 154k
yours must be a good one, to have gone that long, does it idle erratically on cold startup?

G
Back to top Go down
D7
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Not another banger!   Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:32 pm

Starts first time and runs as it should with a steady idle mate the only real issues with it are loose trim really but at 154k its to be expected (its been used as and will continue to be used as, by me, as a work horse) and its nothing I can't sort with new bits from the scrappy anyway Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not another banger!   

Back to top Go down

Not another banger!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1