AuthorMessage
qworks
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Bangernomics in Portugal. Possible?   Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:58 pm

Hi there,

I've just recently discovered the term "Bangernomics" posted by someone at a portuguese blog.

I'm curious by nature, so I needed to read what it was all about and felt deeply impressed with some bangers deals.
Problem is, we have the most expensive taxes across all Europe when acquiring a car, and that translates to real overpriced values. So, when people buy a car, they tend to keep it for a long time doing very high-mileage before selling.
As it is so hard to buy, for some people is a big step to make and the depreciative value is very slow not allowing us to have real bangers out there. The most common is overpriced cars with lots and lots of miles and also very badly maintained. (Not all but a great amount.)

With this scenario, it becomes hard to apply the Bangernomics philosophy. But since you know this better than me, please advise with whatever you feel that could help me following the route that so many here are on.

All my previous cars were bought trough credit and we all know what that is. I'd like to avoid A-segment cars and go for C or D.
I make around ~40kms daily and recently I decided I want to travel around the country at the weekends.

Gas prices are:
Unleaded: €1.354
Diesel: €1.099
Super: €1.494
LPG: €0.672

Here's some cars I'm looking on:

Nissan Almera 1.5i + Ac

Mazda 323 sport van

Peugeot 306 1.9 TD 90

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
OldToot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2010-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Bangernomics in Portugal. Possible?   Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:51 am

qworks wrote:
Hi there,

Hello!

qworks wrote:
Here's some cars I'm looking on:

Nissan Almera 1.5i + Ac

Mazda 323 sport van

Peugeot 306 1.9 TD 90

Thanks.

Prices in Portugal do seem high - for comparison here is a Peugeot 306 from the Uk with only 76,000 miles and full Peugeot history for €1900 - although that might make you a bit depressed!

Is it possible to buy a car from elsewhere in Europe and import it, or are there lots of taxes and other complications? Obviously it isn't such an attractive option to us in the UK because we drive on the left.
Back to top Go down
qworks
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Bangernomics in Portugal. Possible?   Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:40 pm

Thanks for replying. Appreciated.

Nice find with that 306. It is indeed very hard to find such deals here.
Regarding your question, yes it was a possibility and I say was because everything that is good don't last long..
Some years ago, we could import cars from all over Europe and make good deals, the taxes were low and a lot of people including cab drivers imported lots and lots of cars.
Our beloved government decided it was time to do something about it and changed taxes to a level so high, that people nowadays often sell their imported cars without Portuguese registration or by parts because they weren't aware of the import taxes values. And when I say high, it's high, read: more than the actual price of the car. Absolutely ridiculous.
It's a shame really...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bangernomics in Portugal. Possible?   

Back to top Go down

Bangernomics in Portugal. Possible?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1