View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
OldToot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2010-02-15

PostSubject: Fiat Multipla JTD   Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:51 am

Right - so I didn't take much persuading! I suppose I started thinking about cars because the Sportka is not ideal as family transport. You have to fold half the rear seats down to get enough length to fit a pram in, and getting a child seat in the back is not easy, but is preferable to putting the baby in the front and sitting in the back with no leg room and dirty pram wheels!

So, I'm going to get it fixed (needs new MAP sensor and new o2 sensor, and could do with oil and filters) and trade it in against a Fiat Multipla.

Hopefully I can find a dealer who will do me a swap - if they do that?

I guess that means I'm looking at a 2,000 or so Multipla - is that too expensive to count as a banger? It will be a 8 or 9 year old Fiat - that has to be a banger, surely?

From what I've read Multiplas don't seem too bad mechanically - basically they seem to be much the same as my old 156 - get the timing belts done religiously, the bushes will wear out reasonably quickly, you might get occasional electric weirdness, and you'll wish the trim was slightly more hard-wearing than it is, but otherwise they're pretty hardy.

Does that sound like a fair summary? Or are there other things to look for? I've been told to walk away if the gearbox is dripping oil as you need to take the 'box off to replace the seal (which presumably you have to on any car?) but other than that I've not come across much to look out for - but any advice greatly received.

I'm looking at a 1.9JTD incidentally because I may use it to tow a caravan next summer when our little girl is not so little. Actually quite excited about having all three of us sat upfront and a massive space behind for the pram (we have a 1970's Silver Cross thing that doesn't fold and won't fit in any normal car - it'll be nice to use it other than for going to the corner shop) and later for bikes and things - but any expert advice on not buying a jalopy that'll cost me so much that we can never leave the house gratefully received. I am technically inept, btw, but a neighbour is an ex-Ford mechanic who does servicing and repairs for me, so servicing and basic repairs are no problem.
Back to top Go down
Ian_Fearn
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Fiat Multipla JTD   Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:48 pm

My feeling is that a Multipla is a risky option. Practicality and funkiness wise i think they're great but like most Italian cars they're just not very durable.

For me they're just not cheap enough for it to be worth taking the risk on, particularly as you'll be relying on somebody else when it does go wrong.

Afraid I cant suggest anything even half as funky though as another option. Avoid Renaults like the plague as well.
Back to top Go down
jadis
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Fiat Multipla JTD   Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:38 pm

I'm in two minds about fiat diesels, my gut feeling is to leave well alone, but I do know that one of the cab companys in my town had 3 doblos, that my mechanic looked after and he was really suprised how durable they were, they all went on original engines to 250k-ish with regular servicing.
Back to top Go down
OldToot
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Fiat Multipla JTD   Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:29 am

Thanks for the replies - I've some experience of Fiat diesels as I put about 110,000 miles on an Alfa 156 diesel (bought at 28k, sold at 136k) - the engine was superb to be honest. I had the 2.4, which as I understand is the 1.9 with a fifth cylinder. I only changed the cambelt once (officially 72k and 144k) and drove it for 40,000 miles with a cracked sump (lent it to a friend who didn't realise how low the front was, or how heavy the engines was) and I skipped the 84k, 96k and 108k services as I was unemployed / afraid of upsetting the applecart and getting a massive bill.

Anyway, the engine never missed a beat, whether it was commuting through traffic or doing a decent job of keeping up with my friend in his TVR in Scotland. It did 41mpg on the first tank I put in it, and 41mpg on the last. In fact aside from filters and the cambelt kit, all I replaced under the bonnet in the whole time I had it was the battery (110), a top dead centre sensor (20) and the glowplugs which didn't need doing, it was the TDC causing starting problems.

So I'm reasonably happy that the engine will be fine, especially as it's in a lower state of tune than the same engine in the Alfas, so is presumably less stressed. Or at least I'm sure I can find one with a good engine.

The interior I expect may be a bit worn, but then I've seen a car briefly today that hadn't been prepared by the dealer and the seats looked fine (80k miles 2001) so I'll see.

I reckon I'll get one - three front seats means the whole family can sit together and give us a big space behind which will be useful for the business as well as the mahoosive pram!
Back to top Go down
Ian_Fearn
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Fiat Multipla JTD   Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:35 pm

I admire your spirit!!
Back to top Go down
OldToot
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Fiat Multipla JTD   Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:42 am

I'll let you know how I get on - might be looking at a few on Friday or Saturday.
Back to top Go down
Ian_Fearn
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Fiat Multipla JTD   Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:58 pm

Did you buy one??

I really like the mk1 Renault Espace. Theres hardly any left now though Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
quirkycars
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Fiat Multipla JTD   Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:54 pm

Are you REALLY going to buy a Multipla?
People you know might see you driving it!

Back to top Go down
OldToot
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Fiat Multipla JTD   Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:21 am

Well I bought one - a 2001 Y diesel with 98,000 miles. The drivers seat is worn and there is a bit of creaking from the springs at the back when it's unladen, but otherwise it's great - comfortable seats, reasonably quiet, and over the 2,000 miles I've done in it we've averaged about 50mpg.

It has had to be trailered back to the garage once because it popped a driveshaft, but that was fixed under warranty and seems fine now.

There are a few little things that need doing but nothing major or critical. Very pleased with it so far ...
Back to top Go down
OldToot
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Fiat Multipla JTD   Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:50 am

An update.

The Multipla is now coming up to it's first service with us - 12,000 miles since we bought it in summer. We don't go easy on our cars!

It's not been entirely plain sailing, but it's been fairly painless.

It popped a driveshaft - fortunately only half a mile from home, so I towed it back and the supplying dealer trailered it away to fix it under warranty.

It returned a few days later much quieter. I have since found that the previous owner had only replaced 5 of the 6 bolts holding the driveshaft in when he had it off because one had stripped the threads out - hence the popping I suppose.

Unfortunately it popped again a few days later. I inspected the bolts sat on the wishbone and was surprised that they had bent so badly - but then I realised that the gargage had put aluminium bolts in for reasons best known to themselves. As they had re-tapped the stripped thread for me and all the bolts had come out, I just ordered the correct high strength steel bolts off Fiat and got a neighbour to fit them as a favour, with a lot of thread lock. It's been fine since.

I've also had to replace a worn wishbone as it was eating it's tyres and the ball joint was too loose to get the tracking right, and I had the cambelt, tensioners and water pump done as I wasn't sure when they were last changed.

It also needs a new handbrake cable as the gaiter has split and so it can freeze on. I've just been leaving it in gear overnight. Oh, and I've just replaced the rear wheel bearings as they were a bit grumbly.

Other than that it's been perfect mechanically.

Interior-wise, the sunroofs leak a bit if it is left standing in heavy rain, and the sunroof switch keeps falling out and getting tangled up with the sun visor. The air conditioning doesn't work and the drivers seat is a bit worn - but nothing out of the ordinary for a 110k family car. Will get a new switch from a breakers at some point when it annoys me enough!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fiat Multipla JTD   

Back to top Go down

Fiat Multipla JTD

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1