View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
OldToot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2010-02-15

PostSubject: Not quite bangernomics, but ...   Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:03 pm

... does this meet with your approval as relatively cost effective?

I quite fancy buying a new-ish car (10k ish, 3 years old ish) probably a diesel, probably an estate, probably with leather, and then just keeping it and servicing it until it falls to pieces.

Even at 10k it's going to have to do some miles to get economical - 200,000 and you're still looking at 5p per mile in depreciation assuming it's worth nothing in the end, so I guess I'd be looking at getting 300k or more out of whatever it is - about 10 to 15 years worth of miles for me.

Obviously that means for most of the time I own the car I'll be driving what is effectively a banger - an old car with lots of miles. I just will have also owned it when it wasn't one. So I suppose I'd be better off just running bangers all the time and getting rid when the 1000 new turbo or whatever threatens to add 1p per mile to the cost of the next 5 years!

So why does the idea appeal so much? Is it just me being sentimental (my dad had the same car all the time when I was little, and I think it'd be nice for my daughter to have the same) or is it me trying to justify buying a more expensive car, or is there anything to be said for the plan at all?
Back to top Go down
D7
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Not quite bangernomics, but ...   Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:48 pm

Mmm. See I considered doing this. Last year I bought a 2007 registered (56 reg) Vectra for 5500. The aim was to keep it for about 10 years then get shot. To be fair, I loved the car and would quite happily have done it, however I thought of better things to do with the money i'd spent, so I sold it a few weeks ago - granted I lost a bit of cash but still, its pound notes in the bank!

The decision rests entirely with you - my own personal circumstances dictate I couldn't do it, for one simple reason. I get bored VERY quickly of a car. I had the Vectra 11 months (about the longest i've had a car!) and I was sick after about 6 months. At least with Bangers I can chop and change (ideally at a profit!) and still get some use out of the cars.

But then again, I grew up living with my dad and he used to chop and change regularly too....
Back to top Go down
OldToot
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Not quite bangernomics, but ...   Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:11 pm

D7 wrote:
Mmm. See I considered doing this. Last year I bought a 2007 registered (56 reg) Vectra for 5500. The aim was to keep it for about 10 years then get shot. To be fair, I loved the car and would quite happily have done it, however I thought of better things to do with the money i'd spent, so I sold it a few weeks ago - granted I lost a bit of cash but still, its pound notes in the bank!

The decision rests entirely with you - my own personal circumstances dictate I couldn't do it, for one simple reason. I get bored VERY quickly of a car. I had the Vectra 11 months (about the longest i've had a car!) and I was sick after about 6 months. At least with Bangers I can chop and change (ideally at a profit!) and still get some use out of the cars.

But then again, I grew up living with my dad and he used to chop and change regularly too....

I tried it before - I spent 11k on a nearly new 2.4 litre diesel saloon, with a year of the original warranty left, and only 24k miles. I paid half and financed the other half over three years, and to be fair I had a very nice car I was proud of - I never ever got bored of it, the seats got more comfortable with every mile (and I did 110k of them) and it only officially broke down once (fuel line got disturbed at service and popped off - RAC fixed it in 5 minutes) but in the end I got rid of it just two years after clearing the finance even though the engine was running as well as ever and still giving 41mpg on the original turbo and clutch, and the bodywork was perfect apart from a small chip on the bonnet that had just begun to blister.

What went wrong with my plan? Simple. I bought an Alfa Romeo - and although it was mechanically sound (well, the gearbox was a bit floppy and it needed suspension bushes) a few electrical issues had started to crop up (new TDC sensor, lights that never properly turned off) and with that came the suspicion that major mechanical bills might be afoot too (turbos and clutches don't last forever) so it went.

I loved that car though, so I reckon I could do keep a car for a long time, if it were the right car. I know what you mean about the money too, and a house move is above 'new car' on the list of priorities, but after that I think I might do it. Just got to decide on the car.

But then again, the mondeo costs me nothing apart from petrol ....

Agh - decisions!
Back to top Go down
D7
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Not quite bangernomics, but ...   Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:33 pm

I did enjoy my Vectra ownership - same scenario, I bought the car at 2 yr old with 1 years warranty left and only 15k on the clock. Thing is, the last year servicing has killed me (I do my own work normally but having to keep up in case of warranty claims etc!) BUT; I don't regret buying the car. At least I can say i've done it and it was part of a learning curve.

The satisfaction of driving a newer car was great too, but when I bought my missus an Astra runabout in November, and then another Rover 600 as my second car in December, both cars were absolutely cracking value for money (500 and 550 respectively) and all I could think whilst driving the 600 back up to Middlesbrough from Derby was - "This car does everything the Vectra does for 1/10th of the price - and everything still works! (I.e Air con, electric windows, all the interior lights up once the headlights are turned on etc).

That really hit home to me why I spent so long driving bangers previously. To be honest, I get more satisfaction out of driving my 12year old Volvo now...
Back to top Go down
Ian_Fearn
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Not quite bangernomics, but ...   Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:00 pm

When all is said and done, if you want to spend 10k and can afford to do so then why not? However if you want to try and justify your 10k then financially it just wont happen.

Whenever i've considered a newer car it never really works on the pound notes front. Reliability wise I genuinely believe an older type vehicle can be made to be more reliable hence i'm happier with older, well maintained cars.

I still drive my nearly 20 year old Citroen BX turbo diesel all over Europe each year on holidays as well as being my daily driver. It has no expense spared maintenance (carried out by me) that still costs less than a decent service on a BMW before you've bought any parts. Its still in excellent condition, no visible corrosion, does 50mpg and drives superbly and comfortably.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: BX Brilliant   Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:29 pm

Fantastic.
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
OldToot
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Not quite bangernomics, but ...   Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:33 am

Nah, go on, I think I'm convinced. I really fancy one of the last shape (4th gen) Legacy diesels, but perhaps I'll wait until they come down to 2 or 3k rather than 10k. My plan was to keep the Mondeo going until they got to 10k (I don't think I'd want to spend more than that on a car) but perhaps I'll just get a few more in between - I was eyeing cars up on the way to work today and thinking 'hmm - X type, they can't be much now' and 'you could tow a lot of caravan with that Volvo'

Shock horror I even thought I could sell the Sportka (2003, 60k miles, full leather etc) buy a 10 year old Focus (more room for the baby so she can go in both cars easily) and have a nice holiday with the equity - and I love that Ka. Probably won't do it as it needs a bit of work to get a decent price (couple of sensors, service, dent near rear wheel arch) which would mean I'd only come out of it a few quid up probably, but then again I might. A car that you can't really fit the family in is a bit of a luxury after all, and if the Mondeo packs up it'd be nice to have a usable back up. And from what I recall from a few pool cars I drove, the Mk1 Focus is almost as fun to drive as the Ka, so I wouldn't even lose much fun, and I bet they do more than 29mpg :-)
Back to top Go down
Ian_Fearn
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Not quite bangernomics, but ...   Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:15 pm

I think the latest Subaru Legacy's are very nice. Seriously classy and with the new Boxer Diesel engine, relatively thrifty too.

Not convinced Subaru reliability is all its cracked up to be. I've had friends with the Impreza Turbos who've had lots of transmission related trouble. Not surprising I guess the way they've been driven!

It also matters what you use your car for. Mine is used for everything and I rely on it, hence it gets maintained beyond belief but I see so many people in posh expensive new cars that you can probably guess are only used to go to work and back each day, 10 odd miles. I do 20k a year in mine all over Europe and i'd still rather be in mine than a newer 'unknown quantity'.
Back to top Go down
badshot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2009-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Not quite bangernomics, but ...   Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:46 pm

D7 wrote:
That really hit home to me why I spent so long driving bangers previously. To be honest, I get more satisfaction out of driving my 12year old Volvo now...

I feel the same way, I sometimes feel a little smug knowing that the car i drive currently cost less than an xbox, and gets me around with 100% reliabilty, the only costs so far a new backbox at 40 plus servicing and road tax!

I have the money for better cars but love a bargain, and at the end of it normally make enough profit to fund the next banger

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not quite bangernomics, but ...   

Back to top Go down

Not quite bangernomics, but ...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bangernomics :: Chat :: Banger chat-