View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
OldToot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2010-02-15

PostSubject: New User - 'fleet' details   Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:07 pm

Hi - lovely to find there is a forum now. I think last time I was on bangernomics it was on a tripod website or something!

Anyway - bit of background. Currently have two cars:

1998 Mondeo Ghia 2.0 auto - 45,000 miles. Purchase price 0. Costs so far (17,000 miles)

tyres x 4 200
new cat 100
discs and pads 115
few litres of oil

and, er, that's it. The electric drivers seat doesn't adjust for height, and the bumper is cracked (aren't they all?) and it has a slight oil leak I need to attend to, but apart from that it's been flawless. Oh, I tell I lie - I had to reconnect the window washer pipe three times before it stayed connected, and I had to take out the rear lights and seal them in to keep the boot dry.

2003 Sportka 69,000 miles. Purchase price 3,500 (so not really a banger, but not exactly expensive)

Costs (30,000 miles)

tyres x 6 (500)
dashboard removal/refit for a/c leak 400
servicing 300
suspension springs f and r 200
bushes - all over c.300
depreciation 500?

now needs o2 sensor, possibly a throttle position sensor, and sounds like a new starter motor.

Clearly the mondeo is a much better banger with a cost per mile of under a penny (plus petrol) even if you don't take into account the fact that I could probably sell it for the cost of all I have spent on it, whereas the Ka comes out at over 7p per mile without new sensors or starter motor.

We love the Ka though, so it'll probably stay - and the mondeo is such a winner there seems no point swapping it, but I get envious of all your tales of wheeling and dealing - should I cash in on it, or drive it until it dies? I've been told the auto box might only be good for 60k miles anyway?
Back to top Go down
D7
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: New User - 'fleet' details   Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:44 pm

Mondeo's are cracking Bangers! To be perfectly honest, although there is money to be made by selling it, why bother? It owes you nothing and even if the Autobox does pack up at 60k (another 15k miles anyway) you could just drop a new box in it or scrap it if you couldn't be bothered doing that!

Also, there is the possibility that car might see another 100k before the Autobox goes - do you really want to sell a car on the off chance the box might go, to end up with an absolute money pit banger as a replacement? Wink

Funnily enough I bought a Volvo S40 last week and I paid what I consider good money for an S plate Volvo - 800, i've just seen a Y plate Mondeo 2.0 (last of the MK2 shape) in our local rag with a full MoT and a bit of tax for 500 - i'm absolutely kicking myself. Only 70k on the clock too Shocked
Back to top Go down
OldToot
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: New User - 'fleet' details   Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:00 pm

D7 wrote:
Mondeo's are cracking Bangers! To be perfectly honest, although there is money to be made by selling it, why bother? It owes you nothing and even if the Autobox does pack up at 60k (another 15k miles anyway) you could just drop a new box in it or scrap it if you couldn't be bothered doing that!

Well the engine is absolutely sweet - it only had 28k on when I was given it. Not bad for an 11 year old car, although the low mileage is undoubtedly the reason the cat disintegrated.

When it went I thought it might be the gearbox as the car was revving fine but not going very fast - it was like extreme and sudden clutch slip. Turned out the cat had lunched itself and blocked the exhaust so it was generating a ton of back pressure and not much power.

Anyway, my former neighbour was a mechanic and I asked him about converting it to manual when I got home - convinced I was looking at 800 for a re-con gearbox - and he didn't seem to think it'd be as simple as I'd hoped. Still, as you say it might go on for another 100k yet, although if it does chances are it won't be in my hands as I want to get a caravan for family holidays and a 2.0 mondeo automatic is not that sprightly uphill on it's own! If it last me another two years I'll be delighted though.

D7 wrote:
Funnily enough I bought a Volvo S40 last week and I paid what I consider good money for an S plate Volvo - 800, i've just seen a Y plate Mondeo 2.0 (last of the MK2 shape) in our local rag with a full MoT and a bit of tax for 500 - i'm absolutely kicking myself. Only 70k on the clock too Shocked

500 is not bad at all! I'd buy another if this one packs up, but I would prefer a manual. But then I liked the Saab 900 we had too :-)

Anyway, off home now. Just hope the starter on the Ka hasn't re-seized ....
Back to top Go down
Ian_Fearn
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: New User - 'fleet' details   Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:09 pm

Autoboxes can live a very long happy life but the secret is regular oil changes. I've had autobox cars with over 150k on the clock but they'd all had the fluid changed fairly frequently.

I change the fluid on my missus's automatic car every year, or in her case about 5000 miles. A single 5 litre bottle of Comma ATF costs about 15quid and does 2 oil changes, although each time you change the oil you never get it all out due to the torque converter holding a good proportion of the fluid.

The only real issue I see with a 2.0 petrol auto Mondeo is the fuel consumption if you're doing big mileages. Converting to a manual box is a big job and really not worth it, you'd be amazed how much stuff requires changing.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Autos   Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:35 pm

Yes I've had a lot of Autos because Mrs R likes them adn we have never destroyed one and yes regular oil changes help. Sold a Saab 9000 to a neighbour who then proceeded to use it like a manual and cooked the auto in one weekend. Idiot.
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
OldToot
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: New User - 'fleet' details   Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:45 pm

Ian_Fearn wrote:
The only real issue I see with a 2.0 petrol auto Mondeo is the fuel consumption if you're doing big mileages. Converting to a manual box is a big job and really not worth it, you'd be amazed how much stuff requires changing.

Thanks for you advice - I've never had an auto before so it's useful to know these things. I have little mechanical knowledge though - is it easy to change the fluid? I have a set of ramps.

Fuel consumption can be pretty terrible but I've not worked it out properly - it's a 60 litre tank and pottering about we get about 300 to 350 miles per tank. I've driven it to London and back on one tank comfortably a few times though (400 miles plus per tank) I guess that's about 28mpg to 35mpg? Not so bad I guess, but then it's a slow old beast and we generally have a sleeping baby in the back which makes it slower still. And compared to the Sportka (29mpg) it's pretty good.

You have to offset the fuel against the purchase price (0) and depreciation too don't forget :-)
Back to top Go down
D7
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: New User - 'fleet' details   Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:29 am

Getting 300-350 miles to a full tank isn't bad for an old petrol, especially Auto tbh. My Rover 600 (2.0 16v petrol, Manual) and even the Astra (1.6 8v petrol, Manual) struggle to top about 320 miles to a full tank - both 60 litre tanks. The Volvo (1.6 16v Manual) is slightly better and will hit 400 to the same amount of fuel Smile

BUT, The Volvo gets driven sedately as its very lethargic between gear changes so you can't rag it. The Rover tends to get booted everywhere which probably explains the poor consumption and with regards to the Astra, its an old engine design anyway, but my other halfs driving style isn't exactly built with economy in mind either.
Back to top Go down
Ian_Fearn
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: New User - 'fleet' details   Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:09 pm

OldToot wrote:
You have to offset the fuel against the purchase price (0) and depreciation too don't forget :-)

I sort of agree but mostly disagree Wink

You can get some really good diesel engined 'bangers'. They're quick, relatively refined and seriously frugal. Our BX TD does over 50mpg, and still has the zero depreciation thing going on, in fact its worth more now than when I bought it! They also have no fancy sensors, not even basic crank or lambda sensors to go wrong.

If you want to tow, you really cant go wrong with a turbo diesel from the right manufacturer, i.e. older VW/Audi group or PSA group (Peugeot/Citroen).

I'd be very reluctant to go back to petrol engines again despite being a real petrol head at heart.
Back to top Go down
OldToot
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: New User - 'fleet' details   Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:23 pm

Ian_Fearn wrote:

I sort of agree but mostly disagree Wink

I sort of agree with you - ideally I'd have a diesel, but then I was given the Mondeo - and you can't argue with that!

Next car probably will be a diesel, but then with a modern one you're looking at 's if they go wrong, and with an older one you're looking at not much performance. That said the engine in my Alfa (2.4 JTD) was an absolute corker, and aside from a tdc sensor (20) never gave a moments problem (although cambelt was an expensive job every 60k)
Back to top Go down
Ian_Fearn
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: New User - 'fleet' details   Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:26 pm

I'm more than happy with the performance of the Citroen turbo diesel but that said, its not amazingly fast by modern standards 0-60 wise. Torque wise though it kicks a55 compared to most modern petrol engines!

I quite fancied a Fiat Croma 2.4JTD, seem real good value but long term reliability worries me, as it does with most modern diesel engines.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New User - 'fleet' details   

Back to top Go down

New User - 'fleet' details

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1