View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
D7
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: My update   Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:15 pm

Been a while since i've been on here so thought I would come back on and see whats going on.

Basically in the time i've been away I had a moment of madness. I sold the Volvo 440 (see my last post) which I bought for 100 notes and bought a 54 Mondeo for 3000 and 07 Vectra for about 5500. Anyway, after eventually coming to my senses I sold the Vectra and Mondeo and replaced them with trusty bangers again (I now see why I loved Bangers so much!! Very Happy )

Anyway, heres a picture of my old Mondeo:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And my Vectra (along with my old runabout Rover 600 - now replaced by another 600!!)

Anyway I currently have 3 Bangers to my name.

Firstly a 1998 (S) Rover 620Si

This is my "runabout" which I use to pull my trailer about. Nothing else really, but its a nice car and its a nice change to drive it. Plus, its handy to have a spare car in case I need it - with Bangers I like to do my own repairs but I don't have anywhere sheltered to do the work, so if I have a spare car it means I'm not rushing to get the other one back on the road!

I've had a Honda Accord with the same engine in before and also another 600 with the same engine in on a P plate (cost 150! - see above) - I did pay a little more for this one however (550) as its immaculate !!

2 owner car, 130k on the clock, immaculate throughout, loads of history with it and it drives so much better than my old 600. Thirsty mind! Has my private plate on too Shocked

Number 2. This is currently my main car which replaced the Vectra. I'm currently in the process of having my other private plate (as seen on the Vectra) transferred to it.

Its a 1998 (S) Volvo S40 - only the baby 1.6 but a nice car. I paid a little more than I would normally do for it (800) but what sealed it was the 80k miles, 2 owner car and the fact it had loads of receipts plus a cambelt done 10k ago - cracking!

Its immaculate, the only let down is a cracked O/S/F wheel trim!

Finally, this is the runabout I bought for my missus (Mondeo replacement really)

1998 (R) Vauxhall Astra 1.6i Club

Again nothing special, basic spec with keep fit windows and the central locking doesn't work but its a nice little car, slightly underpowered (has the old 8v engine in) but it does the job! 500 too!

And my favourite thing about Bangernomics is what to do if you need replacement parts. This follows an incident with my missus on New Years Eve, still not got round to removing the offending article Laughing Got to love scrappies though!

And all 3 together:

Nice to be back anyway folks, all comments welcome!

Cheers

John
Back to top Go down
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-01-15

PostSubject: Re: My update   Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:16 am

Nice post D7. I can see why you've ditched the Vectra & Mondeo. The Mrs runs our 'posh' car a Subaru Legacy estate 55 plate but I reckon this has lost at least 1000 in the last year even with prices firming up. Thats 1000 that could've gone towards a family holiday, in the kids banks or in the pot for rainy day money - makes you think really.

Like the 600 especially - they really are great bangers. Just need to cure the wifes car snobbery - answers on a post (card) please!!!!
lol!
Back to top Go down
D7
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: My update   Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:45 am

Agreed. I lost money on the Vectra when I sold it (although I did put a fair bit of mileage on it) - the Mondeo wasn't too bad as I got it fairly cheap.

Anyway, another update since yesterday! Managed to get the documents sorted for my private plate so its now on the Volvo Cool I don't know why I have this obsession with my plates as tbh the cost involved of transferring etc is a bit of a waste of money and with me trying to save money etc... but nevermind.

I managed to have a run up to where I store my old red 600 today too - I sold it on eBay last week and the buyer is coming to collect it today so wanted to make sure it started OK etc. I removed the battery when I laid it up in November (when I bought the gold 600) and put it in my garage, got down there today, battery on, fired up straight away - jobs a good un!

Anyway, got a couple of last pics of the 600, with the Volvo:

To be fair, it really is a tidy old bus. Lots of these 600's are plagued with rusty rear arches (especially along the edge where the rear wing meets the bumper) but i've been blessed in so much as both of mine have been fine:

Agree about 600's being good old bangers though. I love mine and when I had the red one on eBay I got a fair bit of interest in it!
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Great   Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:46 pm

Great Cars. Why don't people realise there are such great cars for not a lot of money out there...J
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
D7
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: My update   Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:49 am

This is the point I have been trying to drum into peoples minds for quite a while.

Before, when I was running my cheap as chips old bangers (which tbh, some of them were very rough to look at, but mechanically sound) I was always of the opinion that I would rather do that, then have the money to do other things (i.e have a good social life, holidays etc) as lets face it - there is a lot more to life than just cars. I never wanted to be tied up in Finance deals etc and having to worry about covering the (sometimes quite excessive) payments every month.

I was in the fortunate position that I could buy both vehicles through cash sales (which in turn meant I got quite a good discount - especially off the Vectra) BUT obviously times are hard at the moment and I decided that I would much rather put the cash I had tied up in the cars to better use.

I have no problems whatsoever with people spending a decent wedge of cash on a car, especially if they can afford it and if, in the future I get into that position again then I will more than likely do it (although to be honest I would more aim to get something a bit special/sportier to use socially and still keep a cheap runabout for day to day knocking about). But this is where people fall down. Many people are absolutely flogging their guts out on finance etc and have no quality of life yet on the (RARE) occasion I get to catch up with them down the pub they are the first to take the mick by saying that their year old motor is so much better than mine and that I should really get into a newer car (this is talking retrospectively by the way, pre Vectra days). The main problem here is that they actually can't AFFORD these cars as they are in quite a lot of debt (often negative equity) and they are stuck with that car.

There opinion has changed much of late as i've now shown them that I can be the same as them and buy a newer car but MY OWN PERSONAL CHOICE was to sell and go back to something i'm much more comfortable with.

End of the day, I want my car to get from A to B and would rather have an old car thats reliable than a newer one thats not. Take my old Mondeo - it was 5 years old when I owned it but went back to the Ford dealer numerous times for injector issues, starting issues, turbo issues etc (2.0 TDCi engine) - i've never had so many problems with ANY other car than I did with that Mondeo.

Oh I tell a lie - a P reg Fiesta where the engine went bang but I changed it myself within a day. Total cost - 100 for an engine plus a few quid for other bits.
Back to top Go down
jadis
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-12-29

PostSubject: Re: My update   Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:40 pm

Love Rover 600's had a T plate diesel one in nightfire red for 9 months (bought it for 1400) as my first cab, put 40k . It was very reliable but turbo was seeping oil in the end and the gearsick rattled like blazes.. I took it to 160k, then sold it for 800.

I believe your Volvo is built on the same platform as my Mitsibushi Carisma.

Last edited by jadis on Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
thestealer
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-01-29

PostSubject: Re: My update   Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:20 am

Really nice pics in this thread. I love the 600's as well, brilliant bangernomic motors.

It's worth noting though, in case anyone reads this and fancies picking up a cheap 600 is to take it for a LONG test drive, if the owner doesn't like the idea, walk away. I've test driven several of these who's owners are trying to get rid of them because of a suspicion the head gasket could be on it's way out. Sometimes the problems only manifest when the engine has been up to full temperature for a while, power fades, puffs of smoke from exhaust etc.

Look after your Rover and it will look after you. Smile
Back to top Go down
D7
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: My update   Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:27 am

As far as I know it the Honda engined 600's (1.8 and 2.0 petrol) aren't affected by head gasket issues? Likewise with the 2.0 Rover L-Series Diesel engines.

Obviously any car can suffer a head gasket issue if it hasn't been correctly maintained and fluids not regulary checked and topped up etc...

I can't speak for the 2.0 T-Series Turbo engine however, although I vaguely recal issues with cracked blocks? (Maybe Rovamota could expand as I know he's up on Rovers).

As I understand it the main issue with rovers and Head Gaskets occurs with the K-Series engines and the K-Series was never fitted to the 600's. Possibily because its based on the Accord floorplan, but incidentally with the 400 being based on a Civic platform, why didn't Rover use Honda engines there too, like had been done previously? I think the V6 Rover engines as used in the Rover 75's were also affected?

Indeed I had a T reg 214 with the K-Series engine in that had had a Head Gasket done at 60k miles prior to me buying it...
Back to top Go down
thestealer
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-01-29

PostSubject: Re: My update   Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:25 pm

With a bit of digging you are absolutely right, I thought the K-series was in the earlier 600's but apparently not. I stand corrected.

Great forum this, you learn something new every day Very Happy
Back to top Go down
quirkycars
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-07-30

PostSubject: Re: My update   Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:06 pm

Hold on! "Guisborough Light Haulage"? (In the photo)
That's just up the road from me...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My update   

Back to top Go down

My update

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1