View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KM-TV
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-02-10

PostSubject: Advice... where to look?   Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:17 pm

Hello - I'm Kev... And I recognise some people here from other forums, so hello to you.

Hoping for a bit of advice here. I am a Civilian Instructor with my local Air Training Corps squadron. We have a new project coming up this year which is the sport of Autotesting.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Put basically it's a test of driving skill. The idea is we get the cadets (14-20 year olds) to take part in this, thus learning car control skills and accurate driving techniques. It is not racing, there's only one car at a time, and it's held on a closed area. So even if we do end up in a car park, it'll be a closed down car park with a proper event organisation.

This is where we have a problem. We've got a choice of two venues now, no problem there. We're just lacking a few vital bits of equipment. Cones or other obstacles... and a car.

We actually do have a pair of ford Sierras, but one has a small problem with the engine (namely, a large hole in the side of it with a con rod hanging out!) and the other hasn't run for 3 years and is such bad condition that even getting it to move is going to be a nightmare. It's certainly beyond our mechanicing skills.

So. How do you find a running car, not nessasarily with an MOT, for under 100 or so. We're ok with some small mechanical tasks like fluid changes and other basic procedures, but we really need something that will go out of the box.

There must be a skill to it, I've tried all the usual channels and turned up nothing. Of course the scrappage thing is making it very tricky.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
http://www.kevinmcmullin-tv.co.uk
OldToot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2010-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Advice... where to look?   Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:32 pm

Might be worth checking local small ads and free ad papers - no-one wants to pay to get rid of something that is basically worthless. Also, try freecycle, or put a wanted ad in local papers and supermarkets? I had an old Viva on the drive for two years as I was worth nothing (only cost me 50 and it worked and had 12 months MOT then) but it was going to cost to scrap it. Other people may be in the same position?
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Garage   Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:44 pm

Tried a local new car showroom that may be putting things to auction? They may let you have a car for less...
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
KM-TV
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Advice... where to look?   Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:30 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, Will look them both up.

First we have to get rid of the two slowly rotting Sierras which are in the way at the moment, then it's full steam ahead with getting the "new" car.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kevinmcmullin-tv.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice... where to look?   

Back to top Go down

Advice... where to look?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1