View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rovamota
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Ebay disaster. Sellers beware!   Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:38 pm

I sold a Rover Coupe with 13 months MoT and tax until the end of January on ebay last Saturday and the winning bidder placed his one and only final bid of 700 to win the auction. I eventually had a reply from him three days later and he said he would arrive by train and would I pick him up from the station, which I agreed to do.

He arrived on time and it was his first look at the Rover, he said he was pleased with it so I drove him back to my house so that we could complete the deal. He paid me the 700 and signed a SOLD AS SEEN receipt and he then followed me to the petrol station where he filled up with 40 worth of fuel.

I asked him to follow me onward so that I could direct him onto the motorway as he is not familiar with the area. About 5 miles later he flashed his lights at me and gestured to pull over. I got out to ask what was wrong to which he said 'I want my momey back!' I asked why, what's wrong? He pointed to a small chip in the windscreen and said I didn't mention it in the description; it's been was misdescribed! He accused me of slipping the MoT tester 50 to get it through! He also suggested that the handbrake didn't work as it came up more than 3 clicks and that should have failed also! He then started picking on very minor things. Funny, but he didn't seem to fussed at the fact I never mentioned the new discs and pads that were on the front either!

We were a few short miles from the MoT station so I suggested we drive there where he could speak to the MoT tester personally, but he refused and said unless he had his money back he would call the Police!!'I studied law for 4 years' he said. So why are you buying 700 bangers I asked?

I said that he was buying a 10 year old 700 banger and despite being in good condition it was past its first flush of youth, but he was adamant. He wanted me to return him to the train station and refund his rail fare. 80!

I pointed out that he had just signed a SOLD AS SEEN receipt and he accepted the vehicle in that condition, plus he was bound by ebay rules, but I was getting nowhere. He then threatened to drive back down with some 'mates' to 'sort me out' if I didn't cooperate.

I realised at this stage that I was dealing with a lunatic and decided to leave the car where it was and take him back to the station, which was a very heated journey!

Once at the station he demanded 100 from me for the fuel he'd bought plus his train fare. I tried desperately to difuse the situation but it was getting very traumatic, so I gave him his 100 and told him to go forth.

He should be reported to ebay for that kind of behaviour and have his account terminated; the blokes a loon! I'm still pondering what to do next.

The moral of the story, I guess, is that ebay is still full of shysters who expect something for nothing. And never do a deal on your own, take someone (preferably with the stature of Arnie) with you. Sellers beware!

Here's the orignal ad description...

13 Months MoT, tax until end of January, in fabulous condition with no rust anywhere, looks great. Drives really well.

No service history I'm afraid as the previous owners lost it, but the head gasket is fine and the coolant is clean, as is the oil. Cambelt was changed at recommended mileage according to previous owner but I have no confirmation, but I doubt the original would last 103k! The only issue is the SRS airbag light stays on, but sometimes flickers on and off. Nice Sony CD player included.

A nice car for the money and the reserve price reflects this.

Cash upon collection, please.

Please email any questions.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Rovamota on Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jadis
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Ebay disaster. Sellers beware!   Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:03 pm

What a horror story!!. I understand completely where your coming from. I back down often even when I'm 100% right as I hate aggravation and get angry with myself afterwards for not standing my ground.

Your ebay description was one of the most honest I've read, and the car looks worth every of the 700 price.

Obviously I would expect a car that age is going to have the odd minor prob... old cars do, I fully expect any older car I buy to need a little work/ tlc.

Having said that, the probs he pointed out were not what I would consider faults ! Sold as seen has you totally covered and I'm sure furthermore that car was fit for purpose.

I've bought several cars on ebay and some have been better than expected and some worse. Thats the risk you take buying in such a way.

Hope you get over this experience and that life treats you better, as I always try to believe in these situations "What goes around comes around" and yes I'd complain like blazes about him to ebay... we don't need buyers like that... I used to sell computers and drive cab and believe me I've had my fair share of these kind of arsey customers too...

G
Back to top Go down
Rovamota
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Ebay disaster. Sellers beware!   Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:28 pm

I can't understand why he waited until after he'd bought the car and put petrol in it to then decide he didn't want it.

If he'd seen it on AutoTrader would he have expected expenses from the seller also, even though he'd travelled 140 miles to see it?

I've bought a horror from ebay once, but all you can do is cough up and take it on the chin.

As you say jadis, you get angry with yourself for not standing your ground enough, but why have the aggro, which is what this ebayer sems to thrive on. A nasty piece of work.
Back to top Go down
mango
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Ebay disaster. Sellers beware!   Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:04 pm

I would have told him to beat it.
Back to top Go down
D7
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Ebay disaster. Sellers beware!   Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:53 pm

I nearly bought that car myself when I saw it on eBay...

I wouldn't have been as difficult a customer either Shocked
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Goodness me   Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:42 pm

Kevin,

That is horrendous. Thanks for sharing this but sorry that you had to go through all this. THere are a lot strange people around.

J
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
quirkycars
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Ebay disaster. Sellers beware!   Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:12 pm

I'd have told him to go ahead and call the police.
No way would I have handed over any money, or backed-down.

I assume that he'd already filled-in the transfer details?
His car from that point on.

Worth taking a hit on your ebay feedback?

I once had a potential buyer put a hole in an Astra's oil-filter to try and get me to sell for peanuts. (It was fine 2 hours earlier) Unfortunately for him, I had a spare, and just fitted it as he was talking.. no price reduction.

(These days, he'd have had his trousers tucked into his socks, and a Burberry cap)

Last edited by quirkycars on Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
robinmasters
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Ebay disaster. Sellers beware!   Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:12 pm

The car was his at that point, he didn't have a leg to stand on-you'd exchanged money and signed a contract; his four years studying law should have told him that (which university did he attend I wonder? Correspondance course from his cell perhaps?).

It's easy to say you should have told him where to go, but we weren't there; I'm sure you made the right decision, avoiding aggravating him further. Karma will get him, eventually!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ebay disaster. Sellers beware!   

Back to top Go down

Ebay disaster. Sellers beware!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1