View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jadis
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-12-29

PostSubject: oil change   Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:22 pm

Today when I was having my new banger assessed and repaired, clutch, brakes my mechanic suggested I do an oil change as "it's sweating a little around the oil filter".

Normally I take my older cars to National Tyres for an oil change at around £25 as it's less expensive than using my mechanic.

But, it's probably about time I did this myself. Presumably because it's a basic 16 valve 1997, 1.6 petrol with 108k on, I don't really need to use expensive synthetic oil. So I guess Tesco Super at £9 ?? and an oil filter off ebay for £4.50 delivered may do job, do I need a new sump plug/washer.?
Back to top Go down
Ian_Fearn
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: oil change   Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:13 pm

I often manage to re-use my sump plug washer once but its a gamble.

Find out what size it is this time, then buy a pack off ebay for very little money.

Always smear some new oil round the oil filter seal before re-fitting and if possible try and fill the oil filter before you put it on the car. Its not always possible though due to the angle of the filter.
Back to top Go down
jadis
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: oil change   Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:16 am

In the end I did my usual and got it done at National Tyres for £26.70 (10% off voucher on their web site).

At that price it's not worth getting my hands dirty. They used semi-synth Magnatec 10w40.

Only prob was they spotted a very small hole almost a pin hole in front pipe and made a meal out of trying to get me to have them change it. You can hear nowt and I'm not sure it's even a mot fail ? (advice please) .. So I politely declined...

G
Back to top Go down
Ian_Fearn
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: oil change   Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:20 pm

Pretty sure any exhaust gas leakage prevents the tester carrying out an emissions test hence immediate fail.

Probably best seek advice from somebody in the know on this one but our old camper failed its MOT for exhaust gas leakage which stopped him from doing the emissions check.

26quid.... You'd be struggling to do it yourself for that price with that oil. An oil change costs me about 18quid but thats using good old fashioned mineral 15w40 (Total oil with a genuine Citroen filter)
Back to top Go down
jadis
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: oil change   Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:49 am

"Note: A minor exhaust leak from, for example, a connection joint or a pin hole, is not a reason for rejection"

Found his in a mot manual.. so may be ok. Prob depends on tester..

G
Back to top Go down
D7
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: oil change   Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:36 am

Agreed for the price of an oil & filter change at major chains its sometimes not worth messing about getting your hands dirty!

I usually do mine myself though but I like to have the car on stands for a good poke around anyway to see whats what... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: oil change   Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:36 am

"my mechanic suggested I do an oil change as "it's sweating a little around the oil filter".

Don't follow the logic. = "Its got a slight leak, therefore it needs an oil change"

???

Doesn't mean it didn't need an oil change, of course.
Back to top Go down
quirkycars
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-07-30

PostSubject: Re: oil change   Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:02 pm

I've never replaced a sump washer yet.

I have also used National Tyres for oil changes in recent years, but their price has rocketed to nigh-on £30 for a 1.0 Micra. They always insist on using semi-synthetic as well. Hell, it's a bloody old car, it's not worth it.

I could do the job myself, for FAR less, BUT then I have to get rid of the old oil, and clean-up the mess on the drive as well. (Although I have been known to change the oil down someone else's back alley..)

Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Back to top Go down
ricc
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-08-31

PostSubject: Re: oil change   Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:39 pm

small holes in exhaust can often be fixed with an exhaust bandage.. our fourtrak has had two now, applied by the testing garage to get it through the mot.
. when the tail pipe fell of my disco i put another bit of pipe inside then did enough with the arc welder to hold it together and wrapped a bandage round to cover the holes, its survived nearly 12 months and one test sofar
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: oil change   Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:48 am

ricc wrote:
small holes in exhaust can often be fixed with an exhaust bandage.. our fourtrak has had two now, applied by the testing garage to get it through the mot.
.   when the tail pipe fell of my disco i put another bit of pipe inside then did enough with the arc welder to hold it together and wrapped a bandage round to cover the holes, its survived nearly 12 months and one test sofar
Pretty sure my last MOT tester (in the UK, um...8 years ago now..Jings!) said exhaust bandages were no longer allowed.

Think I hose-clamped a pipe insert section in and that was apparently OK.

Your MOT Tester MV, of course.
Back to top Go down
Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: oil change   Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:27 pm

edlithgow wrote:

Pretty sure my last MOT tester (in the UK, um...8 years ago now..Jings!) said exhaust bandages were no longer allowed.

Think I hose-clamped a pipe insert section in and that was apparently OK.

Your MOT Tester MV, of course.
From the MoT Testers manual:

A durable repair to an exhaust system which effectively prevents leaks is acceptable providing the system is structurally sound.

So providing its not going to leak, fall off or have an effect on the structure of the rest of the system a bandage should be Ok.  However, like you I also used hose clamps and a piece of metal to repair a small hole in my Jeeps exhaust for its MoT.  It will no doubt last a lot longer than a bandage.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: oil change   Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:57 am

Suppose it depends on the testers interpretation of "durable" and "structurally sound".

Seems to be quite a lot of scope for variation there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: oil change   

Back to top Go down

oil change

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1