View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bamboo
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-01-07

PostSubject: 4x4 Bangers   Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:59 pm

Hello everyone, I'm new here, but been driving bangers my whole life.

With all this weather we've been having its allowed me to indulge my secret desire I've had for a while to get me a 4x4.

Whats a good 4x4 for under 1000, I'd like something more 'car like' than a proper landy and I'm quite keen on getting something not very big. I have to admit I quite like the original Kia Sportage and there is nice looking one for 695 just round the corner.

What about the Nissan Terrano SWB is that any good?
Back to top Go down
jadis
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-12-29

PostSubject: Re: 4x4 Bangers   Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:00 pm

We had an old Suzuki Vitara, and never used the 4 wheel drive. It had freewheel hubs that you had to lock/unlock manually, before putting car into 4x4 mode. It was my wifes car and she wasn't stong enough to do this. This past couple of weeks we have had real bad snow/ice as have most, I seriously doubt in this cold I'd have easily got them locked either.

I got rid of it at a big loss, because the sump was starting to seep oil, my mechanic said it was going to get much worse (he said this was a common suzuki prob) and to change it would be a engine out job (Expensive), because he couldn't do it from underneath because 4x4 gear in way.

Is the Nissan Terrano a rebadged Ford Maverek or visa verse ??

If it's a 90's Nissan design, then I guess might be ok.

My mate whos much more up on jeeps than me, swears by old Landrovers, seemingly they are really simple to fix and spares are cheap so I guess that's where my money would go.
Back to top Go down
bamboo
Infant
Infant

PostSubject: Re: 4x4 Bangers   Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:43 pm

jadis wrote:
We had an old Suzuki Vitara, and never used the 4 wheel drive. It had freewheel hubs that you had to lock/unlock manually, before putting car into 4x4 mode. It was my wifes car and she wasn't stong enough to do this. This past couple of weeks we have had real bad snow/ice as have most, I seriously doubt in this cold I'd have easily got them locked either.

I got rid of it at a big loss, because the sump was starting to seep oil, my mechanic said it was going to get much worse (he said this was a common suzuki prob) and to change it would be a engine out job (Expensive), because he couldn't do it from underneath because 4x4 gear in way.

Is the Nissan Terrano a rebadged Ford Maverek or visa verse ??

If it's a 90's Nissan design, then I guess might be ok.

My mate whos much more up on jeeps than me, swears by old Landrovers, seemingly they are really simple to fix and spares are cheap so I guess that's where my money would go.

Problem with a Landrover is its not really suitable for the wife to drive, specially if it doesn't have power steering.

If I recall correctly the terrano and maverick came out at the same time, and I think they were some sort of joint venture, but not sure really.
Back to top Go down
Ian_Fearn
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: 4x4 Bangers   Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:46 pm

I've got a 1985 Range Rover. I paid 250quid for it 2 years ago.

Its brilliant but rusty now. Petrol consumption aside it has been very cheap to run and mechanically its still excellent. I've only ever done greenlaning but they are brilliant off roaders. Power steering as standard and is brilliant for DIY activities.

The Terrano/Maverick is the same car and i've heard are quite good if a little agricultural compared to a saloon car. The first shape Sportage caught my eye late last year as a budget 4x4 but theres not enough ground clearance to be any more useful than a small estate car.

Early Landrover Discovery's are cheap now but they rot like mad. Unless you can find a good one i'd avoid them although mechanically they're damn good and take serious abuse.

The benefit with LandRover is the number of parts suppliers and dirt cheap parts. I bought a new inlet manifold gasket (big aluminium thing on a V8), valley seals, air filters, oil filter, fuel filter and a petrol tank seal for less than 10quid.

Mitsubishi Shogun/Pajeros are quite pricey in good order, Landcruisers are silly money as are Nissan Patrols. Land Rover Freelanders are hopeless reliability wise.

The Diahatsu Fourtrack is a good bet too but they do like to rust a bit.
Back to top Go down
bamboo
Infant
Infant

PostSubject: Re: 4x4 Bangers   Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:24 pm

Ian_Fearn wrote:
... The first shape Sportage caught my eye late last year as a budget 4x4 but theres not enough ground clearance to be any more useful than a small estate car...

The reason the sportage caught my eye is that I'm not really looking to go very far off road, I'd like to have the optional 4WD for when traction is needed in situations like this weather epidemic. A nice high driving position, and just something thats a bit different really.

Owners reviews on Parkers.co.uk tend to be quite positive. Susuki Jimnys are getting quite cheap now, RAV4s are nice but pricey.
Back to top Go down
jadis
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-12-29

PostSubject: Re: 4x4 Bangers   Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:45 pm

If I was buying again I'd like to try a Rav 4. Toyota reliability coupled to almost hot hatch performance.. Or pehaps one of the Daewoo/Sangsung things with a Merc engine.

I wouldn't touch a Suzuki Jimny after my experciences with Vitara corrosion (They are the same car in a different bodyshell, and made for Spanish beaches and hair dressers. IMHO, not Scottish Winters !)

Last edited by jadis on Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ian_Fearn
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: 4x4 Bangers   Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:51 pm

I've been looking into Fiat Panda 4x4's (the new shape ones) and the Jimny was a consideration too but i decided they are too crude and thirsty compared to the Panda and too expensive compared to better vehicles out there. Panda's are too expensive still though.

I think for what you want you probably cant go far wrong with an old shape Sportage.

I agree about the Rav4 thing though, Toyota reliability and normal car like driving but the Bangernomics budget will have to burst to stretch to one worth owning Shocked
Back to top Go down
misterspivvy
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-09-03

PostSubject: Re: 4x4 Bangers   Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:46 pm

sorry to be dredging up an old post. We get bad winters where we live, so looked for a 4x4 for my wife to use. anything worth having is either too expensive to buy+ run or too big to park easily. we bought pretty much the only alternative- A subaru Justy.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

4x4s don't come much smaller than this. It's based on a suzuki swift, has the same suzuki 1300 engine but has a part time 4 wheel drive system that only comes into play when it detects the front wheels losing traction. No, there isn't ground clearance like a "proper" 4x4, but in snow it's never once failed to get up the steep hill to our home whereas normal 2wd cars couldn't. It just refuses to get stuck- ever. and it does over 40 mpg.
we are on our 3rd year with it now, there are some minus points- it's a little small inside, larger occupants will be rubbing shoulders with their fellow passenger, and the driving position is not ideal for longer journeys. you wouldn't want it as your only car if you do lots of motorway work, then.
The exhaust is one of the few parts that's different to a swift, and is a lot dearer than what you'd expect. otherwise, apart from wear and tear replacements, its been a good reliable car.
Back to top Go down
robbo
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-09-29

PostSubject: Re: 4x4 Bangers   Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:05 pm

Vitara gets my vote for small cheap 4x4 mines had a real hammering off road and still going, mpg is crap.
By the way the jimny is not the same as the vitara as the vitara is 1.6 with inderpendent front suspention (drive shalfs) jimny has solid live front axle and 1.3 great off road but still crap on petrol for such a small engine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4x4 Bangers   

Back to top Go down

4x4 Bangers

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1