View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ian_Fearn
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Lexus LS400   Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:00 pm

Check out the link below, 4.0 V8, 140k, 16 stamps in the book. What a lot of motor for little money.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My apologies if i shouldn't be putting an ebay listing on here, the car or seller has nothing to do with me, just surfing for cheap thrills!
Back to top Go down
jadis
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Lexus LS400   Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:01 am

Nice car, but couldn't live with 20 mpg and the expensive repairs.
Back to top Go down
Ian_Fearn
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Lexus LS400   Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:54 pm

Its one of those things.... The reputation of Lexus is exemplary hence you'd hope/expect the reliability to be good, i.e. No or minimal repairs. Admittedly consumables and petrol wont be cheap.

If you got a bad one things could be horrific but you'd just have to admit defeat at that point, break it for parts for more than you paid and buy another Lada Riva Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Lexus LS400   Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:45 am

Hi all - I am new to the forum and had to respond to this as my first post. I am with you Ian. These cars were 'raved' about in the press from launch in almost every way. Now you see them advertised for as little as 600 (I think there's one at this price on the Autotrader website right now). Might be a dog of course!? I reckon you're probably better off spending a bit more to get a good 'un, but looking around I reckon 1200 should do it easy. The one Ian listed is still for sale at this price and very nice it looks too.

Used car expert buyers guide has very little to say by way of checks - mainly engine & g/box oil and there have been a couple of recalls on models up to 1995 but thats about it. Next to nowt really and that speaks volumes. Fact is their reputation for reliability is second to none so as long as you check it out thoroughly and buy with your eyes fully open (fuel cons, insurance, potential repair bills etc) then why not.

I am fancying one to use as a people mover - well me, the Mrs & 2 bin lids anyway! A bit more intersting than the average 5 seat people mover I reckon!
Back to top Go down
Ian_Fearn
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Lexus LS400   Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:16 pm

A colleague's father in law bought one new in the mid 90's. He sold it last year to buy a Lexus RX400h.

In 14 years and nearly 200k it only ever needed servicing, tyres and a radiator just prior to letting it go. Even had the original exhaust.
Back to top Go down
Infant
Infant

PostSubject: Re: Lexus LS400   Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:42 pm

Thats incredible!

If only my dream motor the Maserati Quattroporte was built by Lexus I'd be looking forward to getting mine in 2020. Can you imagine the reliability record of the Maser over 14 years in comparison! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Ian_Fearn
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Lexus LS400   Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:29 pm

I love the 4 door Maser's, always have.

I remember lusting after a BiTurbo 10 years ago. It would have been about 10 years old at the time, about 4 grand and a complete nail, stuck at the back of a 2nd hand car lot.
The Cartier clock intrigued me?? Was it the only thing that still worked Rolling Eyes

I turned round and went back to my faithful old Citroen 2cv.
Back to top Go down
Infant
Infant

PostSubject: Re: Lexus LS400   Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:53 am

The Italian car industry has been a triumph of design over function since year dot. Hence the Cartier clock which I suspect was given more thought than getting any aspect of the build quality right! Although for me italian cars have 'character' (others may say 'flaws') a trait which is tragically missing from the vast majority of modern machinery.

The Lexus is 'cold' in comparison but ruthlessly efficient and reliable all the same and thats probably more important to Bangernomists! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
OldToot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2010-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Lexus LS400   Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:36 pm

My brother has an LS400 that he bought a few years back now for about 7k I think. It's on about 160,000 now, and it's had servicing and a brake pad wear sensor. He doesn't do that many miles, but when he does it tends to be a long trip, so fuel consumption isn't a problem over the whole year. Plus compared to his previous E32 7 series he reckons the Lexus is 'pretty good on fuel' - I've seen the readout on 8mpg, but I think he gets about 25 on average.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Fantastic   Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:38 pm

LS400s fanstastic...
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lexus LS400