HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | .

Bangernomics. Tyres can I get away with this????

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jadis
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-12-29

PostSubject: Bangernomics. Tyres can I get away with this????   Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:06 am

My wifes Almera 1.4, has 4x 185/65/14's fitted rear 2 tyres are 6 mil, fronts are just legal (and crap in this snow!)

The spare is good at about 6mil but it is a 175/65/14. (car came like this)

Can I put her spare wheel on front and put that wheel in boot as spare. Then take other wheel from that axel and get a new 175/65/14 fitted in effect then she will have 2x 175/65/14 on front axel and 2 x 185/65/14 on rear axel?. I could of course swap them around and run 185's front and 175's rear (any advantage?)

Desperate money saving, I know!! but it's January and I could do with using 50 I will save by doing this rather than buying 2 new 185's towards a clutch for my car. Also in time I'd like to get her car totally onto 175's because they are about 5 cheaper than 185's and far more common so easier to get cheap part worns.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Roadworthy   Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:32 pm

I think that Plod might if they were being picky say the car was unroadworthy, although it would not fail the MOT on that...Tyres must be correctly matched with regard to type and size...with respect to the axles, so you may get away with it. Could adversely affect the handling though and if you had a prang just the excuse an insurance company needs to say that you are not covered. Just a few observations.
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
Ian_Fearn
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Bangernomics. Tyres can I get away with this????   Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:26 pm

Although it probably wont be 'unsafe' you can probably imagine the wrangle with the police or the insurance company when they find mismatched tyres.

Its the only thing between you (or your wife!!) and the road so the extra fiver is almost certainly worth it!

I got 4 Pirelli P6000's for my BX 185/65/14 from black circles online for 125quid delivered to my door. It then cost me a fiver a wheel to have them fitted and balanced. Shop around for a good deal and do it right, you know it makes sense Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Bangernomics. Tyres can I get away with this????   Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:13 pm

Surely this will effect your speedo reading? the 175 has a rolling radius of 6.5mm less than the 185's. I reckon this would cause your speedo to under-read. plod may find this unacceptable but would need to be eagle-eyed to say the least. Maybe they might go to those lengths in the event of an accident? IMHO a decent part worn 185 is the way to go if you want to keep costs down provided you can find a reputable supplier - some supply puncture repaired tyres which I am not so keen on!!!
Back to top Go down
jadis
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Bangernomics. Tyres can I get away with this????   Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:23 pm

One tyre is 1cm wider, the size/profile is identical, so don't think it should affect speedo at all, if it does it will be marginal. I always have found car speedos generally over read anyway.

Thinking about this my 1983 MK1 Astra was sold from new with wider tyres on front than back, I believe some Mercs were too. I checked with my mechanic and he said it would pass MOT with diff size tyres front and back. It's only really insurance company that might have a problem.
Back to top Go down
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Bangernomics. Tyres can I get away with this????   Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:19 am

Hi Jadis

The 65 profile is a percentage of the tyre width not a fixed measurement.

Have a look here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] You put your existing and proposed tyre sizes in to this table and it calculates the difference in dia. According to this site you should be OK provided your proposed tyre size does not effect diameter by more than +/- 2.5%. Your 175's are 13mm smaller in dia than the 185's or 2.23% (their figures) so they reckon you'll be OK. Thinking about it this will cause your speedo to over read not under read as I said before since for each revolution of the wheels you'll be travelling less far and therefore moving slower than indicated on your speedo!

Hope you don't mind me bringing this to your attention - thought it worth bringing up as the implications could be quite important.

As for different size fronts/rears I don't think it's unsafe - sports car manufacturers like Porsche have been doing this for years - remember those pictures of the old Porsche 911 turbos (you know the 80's picnic table spoiler version) taken on an angle to show off the massive rears. Obviously these cars have been designed to take staggered tyres so no issues for plod or insurance co.s there.
Back to top Go down
Macoli
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Bangernomics. Tyres can I get away with this????   Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:18 pm

How about some part-worns? Some may pour scorn on this option, with the view that you don't know the tyres' history, but when you buy a second hand car, it comes with 4 part-worns anyway.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: True   Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:22 pm

True...
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bangernomics. Tyres can I get away with this????   

Back to top Go down

Bangernomics. Tyres can I get away with this????

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1