New Carisma Banger this weekend. (Blog)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jadis
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-12-29

PostSubject: New Carisma Banger this weekend. (Blog)   Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:45 am

Gave up mini cabbing in September when started my Nurse training, wife carried on working the car at weekends but with her full time weekday job it's killing her and when I did the sums we were hardly covering costs.

So decision made to sell cab at 87k a 2005 Mazda 6 TS 2L petrol, as too expensive to run as a private car and fix, Would you believe the rear wishbone bushes on way out, Mazda only part, only get complete arms 250+ a side + labour). Need the money now I'm a student!

Furthermore the car is starting to rust already (Arches bottoms of Sills). Anyhow, selling to a trader cheap to get shot quick with zero comeback 2000. But as I bought it 16 months back with Tesco clubcard points and 1k cash cannot complain. (long story!!).

Went looking for a banger this week, what's going on!! prices on ebay are plain stupid... at moment. Is this the scrappage effect !

Anyhow as luck would have a journalist pal stopped me in street last week to ask me what his car worth and did I know anyone!. Bit his hand off !! I remember when he bought it at 2 year old from Arnold Shark, week I got married.

P reg (97), Mitsibushi Carisma Gli 1600cc, reasonable body, odd dent/ scrape, 108k, fsh, MOT 6 months, Taxed 2 months. Agreed on 300 which I think is fair ??

Anyhow, I will if anyone interested?. Post Pics and assesment when she arrives and hopefully Mazda will be gone by then!!

Graham

Last edited by jadis on Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ian_Fearn
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: New Carisma Banger this weekend. (Blog)   Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:25 pm

Everynow and again when i go into town for a night on the beer i get a taxi home. Rather than the usual Peter Kay 'what time are you on till?' question, i ask 'So, how many miles has this done then?'. I once got in a Cavalier 1.7TD with over 500,000 on the clock, true class!!

I want to know how the hell cabbies can afford to run 2.0 petrol engined cabs? Surely the cars are drinking all the profits??
Back to top Go down
jadis
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: New Carisma Banger this weekend. (Blog)   Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:04 am

My thinking is it's all swings and roundabouts. Cars are now under our local council guidlines supposed to be under 5 years old.

A two year old petrol 2L car is going to be considerably less to buy at say 25k miles than the equivalent diesel at same miles. Both are pretty much worthless as ex cabs at 200k. Yes fuel will be dearer for petrol car, but the difference is not as massive as some might think my Mazda averaged 33 mpg, I believe I would be pushed to average more than 42 mpg in a modern Mondeo.

Fuel is tax deductable so whilst using less of fuel increased your income it also increases your tax bill. Yes I know that's a daft way too look at it but I never manage to save/budget and tax bill is always a last minute struggle. It's also much easier to find a few more for fuel a day, than 800 for a new turbo etc.

It is my opinion than modern diesel engines on the whole are far less reliable than older ones. The TDI VW engine as used in older Passats/Octavias, the old Isuzu 1.7 derv found in the Cavaliers, the Ford Endura found in early Mondeos ran and ran... However the newer common rail derv ( laughed when I found out Fiat invented this tech !!, explains a lot!!) engines found in all modern diesel cars are crap by comparison. BHP and smoothness has increased, realiability and fuel economy has dropped. A lot of modern diesels are stuggling to get 40 mpg. Shocking when my K reg diesel Rover Montego TD used to get 50mpg (incidently the first direct injection derv engine put in a car , made by Perkins (A Marine engine company!)).

I prerviously had an old Primera TD and a VW Passat TDI both did 200k without the engines being touched, bar oil and belt changes and near 50mpg.

Injectors and Turbos before 100k is now common, the Renault (nicknamed the chocolate engine by us cabbys) DCI engine is prob the worse culprit. I've seen many a driver give up on a modern Primera or Lagona powered by this engine (compounded by french electrics) before 100k because of the 1000's they have had to spend to keep it running. Modern diesels also seem to need duel mass flywheels at 100k intervals too another 1000 expense. Remember days off the road with car in garage cost too.

If I had to buy another diesel to use as a cab it would be a 307 estate as some of the lads seem to be doing ok with these and at least they do 50 mpg, mind you after my wifes experience with a 03 "haunted" picasso... I'm right off French motors. In the 3 years we had that it had 7000 of warranty work... 90% electrical problems. Leaving me tempted to agree with Clarkston that the french should stick to wearring strippy shirts and sellling onions from a bikes.

My Mazda 2L whilst a bit heaver on the juice and a rust trap, was at least reliable, apart from 12k services & tyres/bulbs, she only had 2 wheel bearings, and a set of pads all around and a battery in 48k over 15 months. I'm sure she was good for 200k.. I see lots of petrol cars going on and on (just like me.. lol) these days...

G
Back to top Go down
Ian_Fearn
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: New Carisma Banger this weekend. (Blog)   Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:50 pm

I'm totally with you on the modern diesel front. I cant understand why anybody would buy a DCi? My neighbour had a Laguna DCi, bought just out of warranty and cost him a fortune. Definately something to steer clear of.

I believe strongly that the VAG PD TDi engines are good. Information on the VAG stuff is very easy to get hold of and VAGCOM is cheap to buy and very user friendly. I think they've stopped making them now though and only do the common rail lump

My Citroen BX 1.7 turbo diesel, the old XUD engine is seriously good. I love it to bits.

A colleague at work has an S type Jag with the 2.7 V6 engine, made jointly I believe with Ford and the PSA group (Peugeot/Citroen). It went into limp home mode before expiring in a cloud of smoke. Both turbos diagnosed as dead. Oil seals gone. They're a grand a piece without labour, OUCH! Shocked Sad
Back to top Go down
jadis
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: New Carisma Banger this weekend. (Blog)   Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:55 am

I'm a fool !!! What do I always tell anyone who asks me about buying a old car. Check it over.

What did I not do? yes, Check it over.

Cos I was buying from a mate (I was best man at his wedding), and if had FSH and only done 1500 miles since test and I'd asked him if anything was wrong and he'd only come up with scrapes, rear window winder snapped. It was snowing and we wanted home...

I took it as OK, anyhow wife drove it home (insurance reasons), 2 days pass and cos of bad snow I haven't used it, went to drive it for first time today and discover clutch is slipping badly.. also noticed one wiper arm has a bit of play and touches bonnet (no biggy for now!)

Anyhow, I was a bit upset/mad re clutch so I phoned him, he had asked me to let him know how I was getting on. He was decent enough about it and I proposed 50/50 split on bill which he has accepted. Been looking best price I can find for a 1997 1.6 Carisma is 73.96 from Eurocarparts. But it will be going to my local garage to be done, as need it done quick and weather is against getting a homer done.

How many hours labour roughly is a clutch. 4-6 hours?

G
Back to top Go down
Ian_Fearn
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: New Carisma Banger this weekend. (Blog)   Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:57 pm

4-6 hours sounds about right for a basic type of car. Shame about the clutch but once its done its something you can forget about.

I always think a new clutch makes the world of difference to any old banger.
Back to top Go down
jadis
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: New Carisma Banger this weekend. (Blog)   Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:15 pm

Took car to mechanic today.

His young female sidekicks first comment was it's rusty, which is a bit unfair, as I've seen and had a lot worse. Front of the wings at base where they join the sill and inside of lips of rear arches.

But nothing I can knock a hole in and sills solid enough too, bit of silver hammerite or sholtz type stuff along the bottom will do wonders !

He test drove the car in the snow/ice and confirmed clutch is slipping, he also expressed concern that abs brakes were jolting back too hard through the pedal. However as car has only done 1500 miles since MOT last June, we are hoping that a good brake clean will sort this.

Car is booked in next Wednesday for the clutch, but he says he will have a good look before fitting it to make sure it's worth doing...

He suggested I order the clutch from Europarts as it's half what he would expect to pay from local factor.

Phoned them to order it and foreign chap on the phone tried to sell me a OE one at almost double the cost. Denied existance of aftermarket one, until I gave him the part number. Then he had it priced 5 more than on web and was wanting to slap on another 9 postage (Whereas on Web postage is free for orders over 40). I pointed out price difference, he said their was nowt he could do so, as I'd had enough by this point, I hung up and ordered on web.

My mechanic wants 180 + vat to fit it. So total for clutch will be 286. (my half 143), Lets hope the brakes just need cleaned up! OMG just realised this is my 13th post ! Frack !!

All in all, I feel the car gods are laughing and welcoming me back to banger ownership with avengence!!
Back to top Go down
Ian_Fearn
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: New Carisma Banger this weekend. (Blog)   Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:50 pm

An old neighbour of mine has just had a clutch/dual mass flywheel go on his Mondeo with very low mileage. Cost is going to be over 1500quid, recently out of warranty would you believe?

I think you've got away lightly.
Back to top Go down
jadis
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: New Carisma Banger this weekend. (Blog)   Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:30 am

My clutch kit turned up today, which is a huge relief as was worried it wouldn't get here in time because of weather and I paid correct cheaper internet price.

Mondeo clutches! lol... heard more swear words in taxi land over these these than over customers throwing up in cars.

Mark 3 diesels Mondeos seem to need a flywheel/clutch and slave cylinder every 60-80k. Garages are good at taking the rip price wise. If you look on ebay you will see all parts can be had for 360 or so as a kit. Add labour and a decent independent will do it for around 650 all in.

So assuming your neighbour has a mark 3, I can only assume he got his job done by the Ford dealer who used genuine ford bits and charged 80 an hour labour...

Lesson here folks shop around!!
Back to top Go down
Ian_Fearn
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: New Carisma Banger this weekend. (Blog)   Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:53 pm

The quote was from the main stealer but then again the car is only 4 years old and was still being serviced by the main stealer.

He's not had it fixed, part chop'd it for a Passat Tdi.
Back to top Go down
jadis
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: New Carisma Banger this weekend. (Blog)   Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:37 pm

Took Carisma in to my local mechanic today at 7.30am . Best time to see him he's usually just winding up to working, getting his coffee and fag and has a few minutes for car related chat. I always play a game of guess whats wrong with the cars in his workshop.

First exhibit a very very tidy Rover 200, R reg, engine in bits... head gasket? Got it in one..

Second X reg P11 Micra, running rough... another easy one airflow meter.

Third and final and a new one on me! a 55 plate petrol zetec Ford Focus that runs only just and very rough.

Les explained spark plugs don't want to shift on it, For 5 days he's tried and tried everything. He's even tried Coke and some fancy stuff he got off web. Les tells me it's a big design fault, plugs are under windscreen wiper plastic cowling and get soaked regularly with all the crap of the day rolling off screen and bonnet and rust in this is compounded by the fact that these plugs don't need changed for 50k.. It's a expensive head off job and customer only accepted it was a big problem on day 5 when he came in himself ,frustrated, insisted on having a go himself and snapped the plugs.

Left Carisma and clutch kit with him, he phoned tonight, "good news, car is fine, went over her like a doze of salts and she's sound. Clutch in, Front Pads/ Discs tomorrow and you can have her back, and should MOT in June just fine, she's a good old Jap Jalopy !!

That will do me, nice one Les !!
Back to top Go down
jadis
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: New Carisma Banger this weekend. (Blog)   Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:11 pm

Car is running fine, and mate came through with his half of money for clutch... so my faith in humanity and bangernomics is somewhat restored.

G
Back to top Go down
jadis
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: New Carisma Banger this weekend. (Blog)   Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:34 pm

Just a little update.

Car was mot'd at the start of June, all it needed for test was rear breaks cleaned out and a new frontpipe. Given that it now has a new MOT, I've just had a new full timing belt kit put on.

My total spend has been 800 to date (approx 7 months and in that time I have racked up 7000 miles) I will be putting another 1k on next week when we travel to England on holiday.)

G
Back to top Go down
jadis
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: New Carisma Banger this weekend. (Blog)   Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:36 pm

Ok further update. Selling car this weekend to a Nurse I know from my last placement, have agreed 250. Have spent no more money on her since July although if I was keeping her I'd do the backbox as it's just starting to blow.

Car now has 119 000. So 1 year/ 12 000 has cost me 550. Which I think is reasonably good going.

I have another car lined up a 51 plate black Astra 1.6v SXI that is currently my stepdaughters boyfriends. She has just moved out of home and got a flat. He has recently bought a 2.2 Astra SRI and my step daughter has been running the SXI for the past 4 months but they cannot afford, don't need to run two cars as he has a work van.

He bought the car 2 years ago for 2750 from a dealer Shocked it was a ex mobility 1 owner car, his first car ( it ticked the box between sensible and boy racer lol) It had 45k and a full VSH. It now has about 70k on but he has kept up the service history (Not main dealer obviously) and it is Mot'd for 9 months . I'm giving them 900 for it and the wife can run it for a while.

Graham
Back to top Go down
D7
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: New Carisma Banger this weekend. (Blog)   Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:48 am

I had a red, 51 plate 1.6 16v SXi earlier this year, excellent cars and drive very well... I rate them highly!

Good price too Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Carisma Banger this weekend. (Blog)   

Back to top Go down

New Carisma Banger this weekend. (Blog)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1