View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Add
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-12-02

PostSubject: Banger for my summer roadtrip   Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:30 pm

Right here's my plan. Buy a banger that's been taxed and tested for as cheap as possible. Get on a ferry to the continent. Do a month roadtrip around (trying to get to Bratislava at some point) and then come back. I'm anticipating some major mileage. I'm 22, a fairly skint student but yearning for a car for an amazing post graduation trip! Any banger recommendations?
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Good Plan   Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:35 pm

That's a very good plan, but a 22, the crucial thing is getting a car that can be insured at a reasonable sum. Anything Japanese is always good, Civics, Corollas and Rovers with Honda engines too. Get your insurance situation sorted first and then track down a car you can afford....
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
Ian_Fearn
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Banger for my summer roadtrip   Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:52 pm

Mk3 Astra's and Mk3 Cavaliers are pretty rugged motors. The little 1.4 and 1.6 engines are tough, economical and reliable. Spares will be widely available throughout Europe if you have any issues. Personally i'd steer clear of the 1.7 diesel engines as they can be problematic (saying that though i've a colleague who has one with over 250k on the clock still going strong)

Avoid anything with a K series Rover engine unless its had the head gasket and cooling system upgrade. The Rover 214 wasn't a bad car though headgasket issues aside and some Rover 216's had the Honda engine which is pretty good.

Citroen ZX's and Peugeot 306's with the 1.9 diesel engines are good. The turbo diesels are crackers but they are more money and bad ones can be trouble. I wouldnt bother with petrol engined french cars, they know their diesels well and the prices arent that dissimilar.

For something with even less street cred than a Citroen ZX you could always try a Skoda Felicia 1.3. These are bargains in my opinion!!
Back to top Go down
jadis
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Banger for my summer roadtrip   Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:49 pm

Almera 1.4 would be a decent shout, parts plentiful in breakers, decent performance 80 bhp/40 mpg, group 4 insurance. reasonable space, tough engines (chain/not timing belt). Unfashionable so cheap.
Back to top Go down
Ian_Fearn
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Banger for my summer roadtrip   Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:56 pm

I hate to say it but an Almera would probably be ok, cheap, reliable and safe but hellishly dull.

I normally take a few trips abroad with my car each year and its really noticable how few Japanese cars there are in France/Spain/Italy/Germany/Switzerland etc. I think if you did have a problem with a 'banger' you'd be more likely to get it fixed cheaply if you had something built in France or Germany.

I always take my 92 Citroen BX abroad, theres tons of those kicking about abroad. I took it to southern Spain in August 2009 and apart from a broken speedo cable it was good as gold. I'd recommend a BX diesel everytime.... but only to somebody who knows how to wield spanners.
Back to top Go down
mango
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Banger for my summer roadtrip   Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:58 pm

As some one who has done this run the best is the pug 106 as there is the very much cheapness as well as the millions of spares that should you have a problem will be fixed no bother.
We did the Rust2rome and went all the way to naples and on to Pompei then back through Swizzeland And Austria Germany Belguim back to Scotland total 4250 miles in 14 days.
Car cost 150 quid with 6 mths mot and tax.

Sold it to my mate who used it for a year. We moth balled it just before the start of the cold weather as he got a newer meridian pug.

tommorow Im pulling it back out as we need it as the other 150 quid clio expired today.....

The Almera went all the way as well cost 250 quid as well

good luck
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Impressive   Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:02 pm

THat is very impressive in a 106.
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
mango
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Banger for my summer roadtrip   Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:47 pm

Admin wrote:
THat is very impressive in a 106.

Thanks we did 4k before we went to rome and graham used it for his daily for another 6 thou.

We are heading to romania in it in september to do this
This post is to try and judge interest for a road trip in 2010. At this stage I would say it will be about 9 days long and around 3000 miles in total. It will take place around the first week in September and the furthest point we will reach will be in Romania taking in the Transfagarasan highway
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Banger for my summer roadtrip   

Back to top Go down

Banger for my summer roadtrip

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1