View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mart
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-11-20

PostSubject: Rover 75   Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:36 pm

I currently have a 97 VW Polo that I got for free off my mother in law who could have px-ed it but gave it to us as a second family car..as much as I like the polo and its reliability it is like driving a dodgem (plus its bright metallic green!) I notice from the forums that Rover's get a good rep and wondered what your thoughts are on the Rover 75 and whether they are a good second hand option? Have seen some nice examples on Autotrader for 995 and can't believe the price..are there any major issues with them ie) parts and servicing?
Thanks, Martin
Back to top Go down
Rovamota
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Rover 75   Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:10 pm

The 75 is a fine and classy car and in the right colour and spec very desirable. Connoisseurs are the most sought after and rightly so. Why settle for a Club or Classic version?

All of the K-Series engined 75's are prone to head gasket failures. The 1.8 engine is the most vulnerable and turbocharged 1.8's more so. The 2.0 and 2.5V6 engines are very smooth but they also suffer from HGF. Plus, a cambelt change on these cars, due at 70k, is 600! Clutch cylinder failure on the manual gearbox is common as well and that's a gearbox out job. 's!

Best of the bunch is the BMW engined diesel, but you'll have to pay more. If you're not a diesel fan the 2.0V6 is a good compromise. Parts and servicing is not a problem; most ex-Rover dealers are still trading and can still source eveyrthing, and servicing is no problem.

In my experience, cheap 75's are a great buy if you like sleepless nights! So pay a bit more and buy with a meticulous FSH and good provenance.

But, I still reckon the 800 Series is a better car... Compare the quality of the leather on a mid-'90s 800 to a later Rover 75... 800 is easier to work on, too.

Kev.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Thanks Kev   Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:29 pm

Kevin is right on all points especially buying anything too cheaply. Parts are getting pricey for a 75 I was at a trade counter the other day and a replacement key for a 75 was 150, whereas a Jaguar was 25 and they blame the fact that Rover are no longer around.
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
mart
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Rover 75   Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:01 pm

Thanks both for the information, much appreciated. I'll maybe look at different options like the Vectra or Mondeo.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rover 75   

Back to top Go down

Rover 75

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1